A common question that I hear from buyers that are looking for a new home is “Do I really need my own agent if I am purchasing a new home from a builder?” It is a common thought that it isn’t like a traditional transaction and the new home sales person is there to help them. It is true that most new home sales people are very helpful, but they work directly for the builder, by law they cannot represent the buyer too. In most cases builders already have compensation worked out for buyer’s agents, and it will not cost the buyer any more to have one. Below are a list of items that having your own agent can benefit you while you’re purchasing new!
• Most builders use their own contracts. A buyer’s agent can review and advise if there is anything out of the ordinary that an attorney should review.
• During the building process there will be several meetings and inspections of your new home. Agents have been through these meetings many times and know what to expect, and know if something isn’t being handled correctly.
• Buyer’s agents that sell new homes will know what all the builders in the area are offering. This is beneficial when you are negotiating, to ensure you are getting the Best Deal!
• Do you need a home inspector? An agent will be able to tell you if this is necessary, and if it is they can know which local inspectors specialize in this area.
• Is there special financing needed to purchase new. Some builders require large nonrefundable deposits to build, some require the purchaser to get the construction loan.
• How much Earnest Money Deposit should you put down? Is it more or less than a traditional sale?
• Are there any hidden costs, fees with building new? Is it more or less than buying a resale?
Why should you chose ME as your buyer’s agent? The answer is Experience. I spent over 13 years as a new home builders myself. I am still a licensed general contractor. I know what I am looking at during the inspections and can help explain the process, from start to finish. I have also worked directly for the builders as a new homes sale person. I have been on the other side representing the builder and I know their process, how they operate, and how to negotiate with them. I have earned the highly regarded CSP Designation (Certified New Home Professional) from the National Association of Home Builders.
If you are considering the largest investment of your life; a new home. Give me a call, I will give you the insight to make the best decisions throughout the process.
Aaron Poling, CSP
Long & Foster
976 Foxcroft Avenue
Martinsburg, WV 25401
Office: 304-263-7800 / Ask For Aaron
Cell: 304-283-0214 / Call Anytime
M.Margie Bartles Broker